Welcome!

Select A Skin

Is this skin too large? Select our Small skin below!

New Members

Welcome to Emeria! If you're joining for the very first time, please create an account using your OOC name. You will be able to link all of your characters to this OOC account, and other members will have one handy account to which they can send PMs, tags, and so on. Thank you for your cooperation!

OOC Chat & Tags

Chat RulesFull Screen Chat

Proudly Listed At...

RPG InitiativeDistant Fantasies

Add Our Button

Follow Us On...

Emeria @ Pinterest

Forum Rules The Stone Quarter

Click here to show/hide details for The Stone Quarter

Add Reply

Down the Mountain
Valentia Brightsong
 Posted: Jan 31 2017, 07:54 PM

N/A

Coins: 1050
Played By: Silver
Since: 2-October 16
Application: Click Here
Tracker: Click Here
Plotter: Click Here

Awards: None

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Winter had begun in ernest by the time Val made it down the mountain. Snows up there were hip deep and treacherous and the winds cut like a thousand knives. You could wear a cloak and every item of clothing you owned and never truly get warm. Val didn't know how the Argents did it.

She was riding a fiesty little bay palfrey when she rode into town. The Stone Quarter was still alive with the sounds of hammering of mallets and chisels wherever she went. The bard thought it a rather interesting tempo by which to travel and thought she might even be able to create a song based entirely upon the rhythm this Quarter ran by. The clopping of her horse's hooves on the icy streets was just one more beat among the hundreds or thousands of them that assaulted Val from all angles.

Now that she was in Landsmeet proper and no longer out on the road, the wind and cold was cut down considerably. Though the temperature was technically the same the bard suddenly felt much warmer than she had in days. "I don't know if I've ever been so excited to reach a tavern before now," she said aloud to the horse. It didn't reply of course, but Val sensed that it too was eager to reach a warm bed and a hot meal.

Still, it was better not to hurry. The roads were frozen and dangerous to tired hooves and boots. Even though the afternoon sun was doing its best to melt the stuff it could reach, much of the street was in shadow and remained frosted with muddy slush and ice. The two travelers would take their time. But just because they were forced to plod along like a tortoise didn't mean Val couldn't enjoy herself. She sipped at some water from a skin and lifted her voice in bright, joyful song.

Come, thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace, streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise... Her hands were too cold for the lute, but Val's voice rang out above the noise of the Stone Quarter. It was a common hymn in praise of Saint Antistia which she had learned during her stay at the monastery, but a beautiful one. And it was what announced the approach of a skilled Bard to anyone who heard it.

//Open to anyone! Join me if you're in landsmeet and need some RP. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif
PM
^
Oisin Quinn
 Posted: Mar 19 2017, 04:22 PM

N/A

Coins: 1030
Played By: Elliemental
Since: 1-October 16

Although grateful for the meager shelter offered by the houses lining the Stone Quarter, Oisin still shivered deeper in his furs as winter's bite penetrated to his very bones. Every so often, as he crossed an open thoroughfare, a gust of cold wind hit him full the in face and even breathing hurt. Gingerly, he glanced over his horse's shoulders and peered through narrowed eyes at the dirty, churned up snow the poor creature was carrying him over now. In some places, it had reached his knees. Withdrawing back into his fur lined cloak, he sent up a blessing to the heavens that it was the horse, not him, doing all the hard work.

To distract himself from the harsh weather, he took in the sights and sounds of the Stone Quarter. It was always busy at this end of town and navigating the streets was a test of patience and dexterity. and not to mention horsemanship. He tugged on the reins, swerving around a boy wheeling a barrow across the cobbles, only to narrowly avoid colliding with a maid lugging full pails of water approaching from the opposite direction. Oisin called out a hasty apology as the contents of the pails sloshed over the sides, eliciting a shrill curse from the maid.

He blamed the weather. The icy cobbles were treacherous under the hooves of his mount.

"Steady, old girl," he soothed her, giving her shoulder a sharp pat. "You don't want to slip and squash one of these delightful urchins getting in our way."

Once through the worst part of the main street, their onward journey continued apace. Although their final destination was a market to pick up supplies for the tavern back in Hayfield, Oisin's first priority was finding a decent Inn for an overnight stay. There wasn't a hope of him making it back this day and a quick glance at the louring skies informed him the weather would only grow worse. If he even attempted a return journey it would be just him and his horse, slowly freezing to death.

"Although there's no one I would rather spend my final moments with," he said, to the horse again. "I'd rather we left for it another day."

The horse continued trudging, oblivious to his scintillating conversation.

However, while he was thinking aloud, they had reached clearer ground meaning they could pick up the pace somewhat. Daring to dig his heels into the horse's flanks, he spurred into a trot. The sounds of the busy streets were drowned out by the clip-clopping of metal shoes on icy cobbles.

Only the sound of singing rose above the sound of his horse's hooves, compelling him to slow back down again. Oisin found himself listening. Whoever she was, she had a good voice. Curious, he turned down another street, following the sound. He might even hire her for a night at the tavern back home. Alas, the sound cut off as he approached. All he found down the street was a lady atop a sweet looking palfrey. Taken somewhat aback, he reined up before he accidentally ran her down.

"Forgive me, my lady, I didn't see you there,"
he called out to the stranger. "Was that you singing? My compliments, if so."

That sounded rather forward, maybe the cold had gone to his head? He felt the colour rising in his face.

This post has been edited by Oisin Quinn: Mar 19 2017, 04:23 PM
PM
^
Valentia Brightsong
 Posted: Mar 23 2017, 01:55 PM

N/A

Let us be honest: no Bard worth the title ever sang anything if she did not intend it to be noticed by someone. But Valentia was nothing if not a consummate show-woman, so she put on an air of modesty and ducked her head. "You would be correct, sir," she replied. " 'Twas I, singing a hymn in praise of Saint Antistia. It seemed appropriate, given the beauty of the day." You see, Val had spent years in training at the Monastery. Up there the cold was lethal if you were unaccustomed to it. The slightly warmer weather at the bottom of the mountain seemed downright sunny in comparison. Not to mention the way the sun glinted off the snowbanks like diamonds.

She tugged at her mount's reins and came to a stop roughly a horse length from the stranger. From the saddle, Valentia seemed to appraise the bearded fellow. "I'm called Valentia," she said when she was through. She had decided Oisin was an attractive fellow, with a rough-about-the-edges look that young girls dreamed of when they heard all the old heroic ballads. "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

PM
^
Oisin Quinn
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 11:17 AM

N/A

Oisin was sorry to admit to himself that the beauty of the day had, so far, quite passed him by. The cold was oppressive, the snow was wet and oppressive. Not to mention treacherous under the foot of man and beast. Still, he glanced around and took in the banked up glittering virgin snow that surrounded them. It was pretty enough, he guessed. Sparkling away, luring you into its fluffy white mounds before freezing you to death! No, he craved the changing of the seasons into something altogether milder.

However, there was one beauty even he couldn’t deny. And that was the girl’s singing.

“That’s quite some talent you have there,”
he reiterated, just as the girl reined up closer to him. “I’m glad someone’s feeling enough cheer to sing in the dead of winter.”

Up close, he could see she was unlike most women in the locale. She looked … exotic. Definitely not from around these parts. Her eyes were dark brown, a warm colour made warmer by the harsh surroundings. Her height was hard to guess at while she was still mounted, but she was thin. She piqued his curiosity, but it felt rude to ask her where she was from before she even told him her name. But that she did as her mount came to a halt.

Oisin dismounted his own horse, giving her a break from carrying his weight – as slight as that was. He pulled back his hood to show his face properly and extended one hand to the girl.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance, Valentia,”
he replied. With his free hand, he gestured to his horse. “This here’s Emelia. She’s a little temperamental like her namesake but tickle her in all the right places and she’ll get you where you want her in the end – also a bit like her namesake. And I’m Oisin Quinn, a humble inn keep with the singing voice of a strangled puck goat. But don’t be scared, I won’t give you a demonstration.”

He was starting to blab. The colour rising in his face had little to do with the cold now, so he paused and drew a deep breath. A time to breathe, a time to let the poor girl get a word in edgeways.
PM
^
Valentia Brightsong
 Posted: Apr 2 2017, 11:03 AM

N/A

If there was one thing Val could say about naming a horse after the Queen, it was that Oisin was brave for doing it. Chances were good that someone would overhear a comment like the one the man had just made and report it to the horse's namesake. Antistia protect Oisin if that ever happened. He'd need the help. Still, the bard had to admit that it was a clever and appropriate name. Maybe Oisin could make the argument that he had intended to honor the Queen by naming a beautiful horse in her honor.

"Well met, Emelia and Oisin," came the reply. From where she sat in the saddle, Val looked down at the innkeeper and smiled. She swung a leg over and hopped down from the stirrup with ease. When she landed on firm ground, the top of her head reached just over Oisin's eyebrows. They were close enough in height that a pair of thick soled boots would even up the difference. Or maybe give Oisin a little bit of a boost if he was feeling small standing next to her.

The bard put out a well calloused hand by way of greeting. She was not yet a friend of the man called Oisin, but she would clasp his arm like one if he would let her. "I've just come down off the mountain, with a storm chasing my tail the whole way. Your inn wouldn't happen to be nearby, would it? We could use something warm in our bellies." As if it agreed with her, Val's horse bobbed its head and sent the metal rings on her tack jangling.

//Sorry for the delay. Laptop issues! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif
PM
^
Oisin Quinn
 Posted: Apr 7 2017, 02:46 PM

N/A

If the weather was bad down here, Oisin knew it would be a hundred times worse up on the mountain. It was a small wonder she hadn’t frozen solid, her hands still gripping the reins of her mount. He shook her hands, finding them as calloused as his own but he did not mind that at all. Given how tired she must have been, he gladly offered her his arm.

“I daresay that storm on your tail won’t take long to catch you up, my lady,” he replied, cautiously. “And as bad luck would have it, we have no hope of reaching my inn before nightfall. I was looking for a place to stay myself and was rather hoping you would no somewhere.”

The horse’s tack jingled happily as Oisin tried to think. They were in the Stone Quarter, where there were all sorts of businesses operating. A passable Inn couldn’t possibly be far away. As such, he took Emelia’s bridle in his free hand and made a suggestion.

“Look, we can’t be far away from a decent Inn, but those streets are crowded. I almost trampled a child while swerving to avoid a milkmaid,” he recalled. “I say we lead the horses back through the main square and find somewhere to wait out the coming storm. I’ll pay, if that’s your concern.”

That was his third time being rather direct and he felt the colour rise in his face again. He could only hope she didn’t get offended by his implication that she couldn’t pay for herself. But he meant well and hoped she saw that.
PM
^
Valentia Brightsong
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 09:20 PM

N/A

If it came down to cases, Val would pick the company of a direct man over the company of a devious one. A direct man might tell you an unpleasant truth but at least he wasn't lying. "It was not a concern, but don't think I won't take you up on the offer!" Val laughed musically. Hers was a cheerful, almost bubbly personality. Even after a hard day's ride in the punishing cold she might as well have just come from a casual jaunt in springtime. The only evidence to the contrary was a slightly disheveled appearance and stray wisps of hair that had blown loose in the wind.

She grabbed both her horse's reins and a handful of skirt in one hand, and Oisin's arm in another. "I was told to seek out the Halfway Inn and Tavern upon my arrival," she said. Her eyes scanned the street ahead. It was almost like she thought she'd be able to see the tavern from here. "But if you know of a nearer place, by all means lead the way!" The sooner she could get out of this cold, the better. Even though Val's demeanor seemed to say she was not bothered by it, there just wasn't enough meat on her bones to insulate her from the weather. Now separated from the warm body of her mount, the cold was starting to sneak in under her clothes. She would be shivering if they didn't get moving soon to keep her blood warm.

PM
^
Kate
 Posted: May 7 2017, 07:37 AM

Those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

Coins: 32811855
Played By: Kate
Since: 4-May 16

((OOC: This thread is in danger of being marked a Dead Thread. It looks like it's Elliemental 's turn. If you'd rather I close the thread, please let me know. Otherwise I will automatically mark it Dead on May 12th, 2017. Thank you!))

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Oisin Quinn
 Posted: May 10 2017, 05:51 AM

N/A

"The Halfway Inn it is, then," Oisin answered her as cheerily as he could. But he failed. It was cold, he was wet and freezing and he needed warmth. He could only stand in awe at his new companion's cheerful demeanour against such harsh odds. "I know the place well, as it happens. It's not too far away and it's the best this town has to offer."

Wasting no more time, he took Emelia by the bridle and began leading her back through the busy streets they had just come from. By now things had quietened and the streets were clear of people, leaving only impacted snow and sheet ice to deal with.

"So, what brings you to Landsmeet? I don't believe I asked earlier, which is highly remiss of me."

Despite the quieter streets, progress was slow and he found himself making polite conversation. All the while, the snow resumed its downward spiral, flakes of it settling in the girls' dark hair and melting quickly.

"And it's not a bad place, we're going to either. We can get good hot food and ale to match."

((OOC: really sorry for the delay, I honestly thought I'd replied already))

This post has been edited by Oisin Quinn: May 10 2017, 05:52 AM
PM
^
Valentia Brightsong
 Posted: Jun 16 2017, 09:39 PM

N/A

"I've spent years at The Monastery," she said, giving her voice the sort of inflection that made it almost possible to hear those capital letters. "The Father Argent deemed my training complete and has sent me to meet up with an Argent here in Landsmeet. I'm supposed to hear tales of his glorious travels and write songs about them. I'm a Bard, you see."

It was easy to tell that Val was excited. She almost seemed to sparkle when she talked about those 'glorious travels'. "But I think you have the right idea. I want to get myself on the outside of something hot before I bend my mind to the task of song writing." Was that twinkle in her eye a flirtatious gesture, or was it left over from her talk of Argents' tales? Not that it mattered, since the bard was still talking. "You'd think I would have a higher resistance to the cold weather due to the time I've spent on the mountain, but I freeze just as thoroughly as the next woman. Might thaw out a little more quickly, though."

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

Forum Skin & Graphics created by Kate of The Pointed Hat. Not for Reuse.
Information

Forum Rating

Emeria is rated 3/2/2 by the RPGRating.com system. This rating means that, in addition to less intense scenes, we also permit the use of foul language, and some kinds of graphic violence and sexual scenes. But don't worry, that doesn't mean that that's all you'll find here! Threads which surpass a PG rating will be marked as such, which will prevent any accidents. However, we do request that all of our members are at least 16 years of age before joining.

Map

Click to Enlarge

Wondering what the Kingdoms look like, how to get to Landsmeet, or where the Monastery is hidden away? View our map and find out!

Administration

Kate

Owner/Operator

Riva

Member Support

Current Season

Open Since June 6, 2016